10/20/11

Delivery Day

I woke early this morning with great anticipation about meeting our new son/daughter. So many questions racing through my mind..."is it a boy or girl? Will labor/delivery be longer or shorter than Emry's? Will baby be a healthy weight?" etc... I was rallied at 4:45 when my nurse came in and said I could get in the shower, which I quickly did, only to exit the bathroom to hear my SCREAMING neighbor. That quickly raised my anxiety and put me on high alert. Being my nosey self, I asked my nurse if this woman elected to deliver naturally without meds. Nurse confirmed that she had a lot of meds, but unfortunately they weren't working. Thankfully Steve made light of the situation and nicknamed her "Moaner Lisa" (fitting statement for an art teacher).

So, back to our delivery... My day nurse came in around 6:00am, checked me and said I was already dilated to 5 cm. on my own. After that, she started the pitocin which quickly brought on mild contractions. Around 7:30am, epidural was put it and once again, it moved all the way up to my collar bone on my left side just like with Emry. Sooo, the anesthesiologist turned the drip off for a while until I could feel the pain again. Then it was programmed on the lowest setting. Dr. Billharz came in around 8:00 and broke my water and then the contractions REALLY started coming fast and hard. At 9:49, I started pushing with hope that I would push less time than I did during Emry's labor/delivery. The doctor and nurses were all suspecting the same thing. Unfortunately, 45 minutes came and went pretty fast and I could feel A LOT with the epidural dose being so low. My nurse continued to assure me that I was doing everything right. It was just that baby kept getting caught on my pelvic bone. After 2 hrs. of pushing and making no further progress (nurse said baby's head was right there), I became someone else. I was "Moaner Lisa", sweating profusely, writhing in the bed, crying hysterically, seriously contemplating throwing in the towel. I couldn't imagine doing it any longer. After saying "I need help!" and "why isn't the doctor here yet?" the nurse called him again and he finally came up. He shared that baby was sunny-side up and that he was going to try and turn it with his hands while I pushed. After several contractions that didn't work either and once again I said, "I need help, please." He gave a detailed description about the vacuum and forceps and their potential risks. I quickly said to please do whatever he felt was best and what he was most comfortable using. So, I pushed through one contraction without it while he got everything ready and on the second push during the next contraction, she was out at 12:18pm! Steve said it looked like the doc almost dropped her and Steve was woozy b/c he saw how her head looked while being suctioned so he burried his head in my shoulder, and I could barely see due to puffiness b/c of crying and pushing so long. They forgot to announce if she was a boy or girl, so finally I looked up and said, "Oh...she's a girl!" Not quite how we imagined the moment of surprise. She cried a little at first and then stayed pretty quiet. Her poor nose was flattened and her head was fairly bruised but she was still an adorable little peanut weighing in at 6 1bs 13 oz, 19 in long.

Her battle wounds already look so much better and she's such a good baby. She's really starting to resemble Emry. We absolutely lover her to pieces and any doubts I had about not being able to evenly spread my love between two kids, have completely vanished. We feel so blessed and grateful that God gave us this opportunity and I also thank Him for getting me through such a long and draining delivery (I talked to Him a lot). Bryn was soooo worth it! I would do it all over again in a heartbeat.

Ready to be induced!

Our sweet angel.

Lovin' on my baby girl. (notice my puffer-penguin face)

Healing well and starting to resemble Emry.

BFFs

No comments: