12/25/09

Unexpected Christmas in Kansas City

In my previous post I had mentioned my blood pressure was a little high. Well, I went to my appointment Wednesday morning and my blood pressure was still high and the doctor figured out I am dilated to 2cm and 50% effaced. Since my blood pressure was high, she said it was protocol to admit me so they could monitor my BP for a while and do some blood work. Initially, it seemed that I would only have to stay for a few hours. My blood work was fairly good except for my liver enzyme levels. Those were somewhat elevated and my blood pressure hadn't changed. Because of the liver levels, the blood pressure, and the swelling, the doctor on call came in and told me I had a mild case of preeclampsia and that no matter what, they would have to induce me, it was just a matter of when. She guessed it would probably be a few days and then baby would be here. I held it together pretty well and then just before she left my room, I broke down. I was in complete shock and totally unprepared to have a baby this soon. She would be 5 weeks early! I asked the doctor if there was anything I could have done to prevent this and she said no. They're not sure why some women develop this disease. On top of all this, Steve was at home with the stomach flu and we have no family in town. I'm so grateful my friend Natalie was in the room when the doctor shared this news. The doctor made it seem like there was no question and this was a definite thing. The only way to cure preeclampsia is to deliver the baby. After a few hours, I became more comfortable with the idea of officially becoming a parent at any moment. They decided to keep me overnight so they could continue to monitor my Bp and do more blood work in the morning. They also wanted to do a 24 hr urine collection to see if I released any protein. I had several visitors that evening which was so thoughtful since Steve couldn't be with me. That helped to pass the time. Thanks Nat, Liz, April, Kate, and Brenda! After an "okay" night's sleep, they did lab work again. My levels were better than the day before. A different doctor was on call and he said he doesn't think I have preeclampsia because there was no protein in my urine from my initial doctor's visit. He also said I have labile BP because it fluctuates between normal and high. He said the 24 hr urine results would give us more information but at that point, he thought there wasn't anything major to worry about and he saw no reason to take the baby. I was relieved to hear that baby wouldn't need to come early but very confused about the different opinions from the doctors. Soon after that, Steve was able to come up to the hospital. My mom came shortly after him (she took an early flight out from Minnesota b/c we were all under the impression that baby would be here soon). We had to stay a few more hours so they could test my urine and take blood one last time. Again, my lab results were better and there was no sign of protein in my urine. I guess that's a huge factor in diagnosing someone with preeclampsia. There was a third doctor on-call yesterday afternoon and she said I could go home on limited activity. It's not bed rest but I can't do housework or strenuous activities. Basically, I have to lay-low at home. Before we left, the nurse said they'll monitor me more closely from now on. My next appointment is on the 30th so we'll see how my BP is then. One of the doctors made it seem like there is a chance I could return to work after the holiday break. That's something to be discussed on Wed. Right now, I still feel like I don't know what to think, and I wish there were more answers. I trust in God that he'll do whatever is best for baby. I pray that he gives her a few more weeks to grow so she's developed enough to be healthy at birth. Steve and I had to cancel our plans to travel to Iowa and Minnesota to spend Christmas with family. Thankfully, my mom is here to spend it with us. Steve and she have been so amazing. Steve has been cooking the meals, he did the laundry, and my mom cleaned most of the house (with a little help from Steve). It's difficult to sit back and watch them take over things I normally do (minus the cooking). But I am so blessed to be surrounded by such remarkable people! Love you! For now, baby and I are doing well and I pray we continue that way. Hope you all have a merry Christmas and Happy New year! :)

No comments: